Home Phone

Thai Marriage Visa

Thai Marriage Visa



  • Thailand marriage visa is for a 1-year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai National.
  • This is a long-term Thai visa issued to a foreign national who is married to a Thai and meets the other requirements of the immigration bureau.
  • The Thai marriage visa allows the person to stay for a full year in Thailand without the need to exit the country.
  • The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).
  • The Thailand Marriage Visa also allows the holder to work in Thailand when the visa holder can obtain a valid Thai Work Permit to go along with the visa.

This is considered an advantage to prospective foreign employees as the employer would only have to be concerned about the procurement of a work permit.


  • Must be married to a Thai national
    • This is substantiated through a Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror 3) and
    • Marriage Registration (Kor Ror 2).
    • If the applicant got married abroad, the applicant or the Thai spouse must report the marriage to the amphur and obtain Kor Ror 22.
  • Financial qualifications
    • Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
    • Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy must be shown to verify this income.


  1. A recent copy of your updated bank book or passbook together with a bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months prior.
  2. An income letter from your embassy verifying your monthly income Certified by your local embassy
  3. Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application
  4. …or a 12-month bank statement that shows regular deposits of 40,000 baht
  5. Certificate of Marriage
  6. Kor Ror 22

Documents that may be required to be presented upon request

  1. Police Clearance
  2. Medical Certificate
  3. Health Insurance
  4. A copy of an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry could be required. This affirmation is obtained by the foreigner from his foreign embassy in Thailand.

Marriage Visa Application Process

  1. Obtain a 90-day Non-Immigrant O visa at the Thai Embassy or Consulate from your home country or a country of residence prior to your application for the Thai marriage visa.
  2. Travel to Thailand to activate the non-immigrant O visa.
  3. Prepare required documents for the marriage visa.
  4. On the last 30 days of the 90-day permit to go to the immigration office.
  5. Submit the visa extension application and required documentation to the Immigration Office Note: The processing period for the marriage visa can take up to a month.
  6. A Visa Exemption stamp or a Tourist Visa can still apply for a Thai marriage visa inside Thailand as long as the foreigner has already met the requirements for the non-immigrant O visa and the one-year Thai marriage visa applications. This can be done at the local Thai immigration office in the province where the foreigner and Thai spouse are residing.


  • You must report to the immigration office your current address every 90-days This is substantiated through a Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror 3) and
    • If the marriage visa holder is not in the country when the report is due, the counting for the 90-days will start again after re-entry to Thailand.
  • The application for the marriage visa may require you to show Police Clearance, a Medical Certificate and an Annual Health Insurance policy.
  • All foreigners entering Thailand need to obtain a Certificate of Entry (COE) from the local application for the COE requires Alternative Sate Quarantine Hotel (ASQ) reservation for the mandatory 14-day quarantine and COVID-19 Travel Insurance.
  • Multiple entry permits are required to avoid cancellation of your visa if you wish to leave the country during your stay to avoid your visa from being canceled.
  • In case you find the need to leave the country for whatever reason, you can apply for a re-entry permit at the nearest Immigration Office or at the international airport before leaving the country.
  • The required amount of money must be in your bank account 3 months prior to your renewal.
  • personal effects cannot be imported to Thailand duty free according to the Bureau of Customs.